Filing Asbestos Claims
If you or a family member is suffering from an asbestos related illness such as mesothelioma or asbestosis, you should consider contacting a Baltimore MD asbestos lawyer from Brown Kiely, LLP. Our experience with personal injury claims includes asbestos illnesses. On behalf of our clients, we have successfully recovered maximum damages from those responsible for their losses. An asbestos lawyer in Baltimore MD from our firm may be able to do the same for you and your family.
Currently there is over $30 billion in asbestos trust funds. Many of these were developed after multiple companies were shut down, or bought out, after being caught with producing, selling, or using asbestos containing goods. These funds are intended for the victims of asbestos related diseases or illnesses.
What is Asbestos?
Asbestos is a natural mineral fiber that was commonly used by dozens of industries prior to the 1980s. When asbestos is damaged, irritated, or moved the microscopic fibers can break apart and become airborne. When a person inhales these fibers, they lodge in the lungs and that’s when the trouble begins. Over time, especially with repeated exposure, lung cancer, mesothelioma, or other asbestos related illnesses can develop. Due to the density of asbestos fiber they travel through the air with ease. This means bystanders or family members of people who worked around asbestos run the risk of inhaling the fibers and developing a related and very serious disease.
Asbestos Occupations, Industries, and Trades
If you or a loved one worked in any of the below industries (particularly before 1989), and have been diagnosed with an asbestos illness, you may want to get advice from an asbestos lawyer. An asbestos lawyer Baltimore MD from our firm can provide you the legal guidance you need to make decisions about how best to move forward. The following is an incomplete list of occupations that are associated with high levels of exposure to asbestos:
- Aerospace workers
- Aircraft mechanics
- Aircraft manufacturing workers
- Auto mechanics, manufacturing workers, and brake and clutch manufacturing and assembly workers
- Boilermaker manufacturing workers
- Construction and demolition workers (notably bricklayers, masonry, carpenters, drywallers, plasterers, laborers, wrecking crews, roofers, tile installers, and welders)
- Maritime workers (notably shipyard workers, coastguard personnel and U.S. Navy personnel)
- Plant and mill workers (cement workers, building material manufacturers, asbestos textile workers, protective wear workers, rubber workers, gasket manufacturing)
- Railway workers and repairmen
- Sheet metal workers
The Importance of Hiring an Asbestos Lawyer
At Brown Kiely, LLP, we can provide you with a Baltimore MD asbestos lawyer who handles asbestos related claims including cancer, mesothelioma, injuries, and other related diseases. Our asbestos lawyers understand the devastating effects these illnesses can have on victims and their families. Our legal team also understands that when someone is suffering from such a serious or deadly disease there is likely to be significant medical bills. They may not be healthy enough to work and so they may not have an income to pay their living expenses either. We will do everything possible to negotiate a fair settlement in a timely manner.
Any Baltimore MD asbestos lawyer you hire should ideally have experience handling these types of claims. Understanding how asbestos trust funds work is key as they can be complex and challenging. Other benefits to having a successful asbestos lawyer on your side include:
- They can provide accurate information and address your questions while guiding you through the claims process.
- They understand how to effectively research an asbestos case in order to determine the responsible parties.
- They can give you an accurate estimate of your case’s worth.
- Your lawyer can let you know whether or not any extenuating circumstances may delay your case
- A Baltimore MD asbestos lawyer from Brown Kiely, LLP will make every effort to negotiate a fair settlement on your behalf. If the negligent party is not cooperative, we will escalate your case to a civil lawsuit. Very often, when a liable party is facing litigation, they will decide a settlement is preferable to paying court costs in addition to a possible jury award.
When it comes to getting justice for you or a loved one’s illness, you risk nothing because most asbestos lawyers work on a contingency fee basis. Call Brown Kiely, LLP today for a free consultation.
Recover Your Damages
If you or a loved one has sustained a serious illness due to asbestos exposure, you may be entitled to receive compensation from those responsible. This may be a former employer or another party. Unfortunately, there are many legal hurdles to jump in order to receive a settlement. This underscores the importance of working with an experienced asbestos lawyer. When a victim receives a settlement from the asbestos trust fund, they can use it however they want. Unfortunately though, their medical bills and other costs associated with having a serious asbestos disease or illness are probably significant. If the victim passes as a result of their condition, additional damages may include end of life care, funeral expenses, burial plot, and much more. Here is an impartial list of damages they may have sustained and are eligible to recover:
- Medical costs
- Home healthcare services
- Nursing home or treatment facility costs
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral expenses
An Asbestos Lawyer You Can Count On
The above list of jobs that have a high risk of asbestos exposure is not exhaustive. You may have been exposed to asbestos even if your job was not listed. In fact, almost anyone can be exposed to asbestos if they come into contact with someone else who was exposed. For a more detailed description of potentially hazardous occupations involving asbestos, talk to one of our asbestos attorneys. We offer potential victims of asbestos related illnesses a free consultation with one of our experienced attorneys. Call us at Brown Kiely at (410) 625-9330 without delay to speak with a Baltimore MD asbestos lawyer who can successfully fight for your rights.