Malignant mesothelioma is a form of cancer in the lining of your lungs, abdomen or heart that is most often caused by exposure to asbestos. Each year in the United States, some 2,500 cases of this cancer are diagnosed.
You deserve answers
If you are faced with a mesothelioma diagnosis, you deserve to find out why there was no warning about the dangers of asbestos. You have the right to seek damages for you and your family or for a loved one who has passed away from mesothelioma or an asbestos-related disease.
Although a legal battle is the last thing you want to engage in once you have received a mesothelioma diagnosis, exercising your legal rights can help you collect the funds necessary to:
- Pay off substantial medical bills
- Finance aggressive treatment
- Provide future financial security for your family
Maryland and Washington D.C. Law
Washington D.C. is the site of many mesothelioma cases. In both Maryland and the District of Columbia, the courts adhere to the following doctrines:
- Pure contributory negligence: You may only recover compensation for damages if it is determined that you are completely blameless in causing your injury.
- Common law joint and several liability: When there is more than one wrongdoer, each defendant is jointly and severally responsible for the amount of damages, regardless of how much their fault contributed to the injury. This is beneficial because it allows an injured plaintiff to recover the entire amount of damages from any one or any combination of defendants.
Statute of limitations
Every state has its own Statute of Limitations, the amount of time that a plaintiff has to file a claim. If you fail to submit the claim in this timeframe, you could relinquish your right to collect compensation.
In Maryland and Washington D.C., you have three years from the date of diagnosis to file your claim.
If a loved one has died from mesothelioma or other asbestos-related disease, it is important to contact us as soon as possible as there may be a time limit by which your claim must be filed.
Contact experienced mesothelioma lawyers, Brown Kiely, LLP, to discuss the details of your case. The law office of Brown Kiely, LLP can help you understand your options and will work diligently to get you the compensation you deserve.