If you have been diagnosed with mesothelioma you have some decisions to make regarding your treatment. Talk with your doctor and learn as much as you can about this disease so that you make well informed decisions.
New Drug Therapies
Chemotherapy for mesothelioma is most effective when drugs are used in combination. These may include the following:
- Alimta is one of the newest drugs available and the first specifically developed to treat mesothelioma. Studies show that patients using Alimta in combination with Platinol live longer with less pain or shortness of breath.
- Aroplatin is an intrapleural drug that is less toxic than traditional chemotherapy.
- Adriamycin reduces toxicity to the heart while fighting cancer cells.
- Endostatin protects healthy tissue while preventing tumors from growing blood vessels. In combination with other cancer drugs, it prevents the growth of new cancer cells.
- Taxol interferes with normal cell breakdown during division.
- Gemcitabine stops tumor growth.
Other therapies include:
- Intraplueral Interferon Gamma, which is administer directly at the site of the cancer.
- Photodynamic Therapy, which uses light energy in combination with Immunotherapy to destroy tumors while boosting the body’s immune system.
- Gene Therapy aims to correct the genetic flaw that prevented the body from fighting disease.
If you would like to learn more about your options for dealing with mesothelioma and you live in the Baltimore or D.C. area, please contact the law office of Matt Kiely today.